The most powerful magnets available
Neodymium is a class of Rare Earth material, available in both sintered and bonded forms. Major characteristics: the most powerful (highest energy product) class of magnet material commercially available today.
- Magnetic Strength: The most powerful commercially produced magnets.
- Grades Available: Grades 35, 40, 42, and 45 are commonly available. (These numbers are an indicator of the strength of the magnet.) The highest grades available are in the 55 range.
- Physical Strength: Hard and fairly brittle - can chip or break if dropped or if they snap together.
- How they behave with temperature: Should not be used above 130° C (240° F) without careful magnetic circuit design.
- Magnet surface: Neodymium magnets that are not protected with a surface coating (such as plating) may rust in humid conditions.
- Relative cost: Neodymium magnets are a little more costly than the ceramic types, but pack a much stronger punch.
- Care tips: Take care when handling these magnets - especially larger magnets. They are very strong and can snap together or to a steel surface with a strong force! Be careful not to pinch your finger between magnets.
- Assembly tips: Neodymium magnets are often assembled into products using "superglues" such as Loctite 325. Always ensure that bonding surfaces are clean and dry prior to bonding.