Rare Earth Magnets
Neodymium Magnets & Samarium Cobalt Magnets
Buy rare-earth magnets online today! MagnetShop.com carries a large inventory of licensed, rare-earth magnets, Neodymium magnets & Samarium Cobalt Magnets are available in a wide range of shapes, sizes, finishes, and premium grades, not all of which are shown on this website.
Rare-earth magnets, made from alloys of rare-earth elements are the strongest type of permanent magnet available today. Magnetic properties for rare-earth magnets far exceed those of other magnet materials, making them the preferred choice for many commercial, industrial and technical applications.
Rare-Earth Magnets - Advanced Permanent Magnet Material
There are two types of rare-earth magnets: Neodymium magnets & Samarium Cobalt magnets. Neodymium and Samarium cobalt magnets each have their own unique characteristics, benefits and attributes.
- Neodymium Magnets (commonly known as Neodymium Iron Boride, NdFeb, or Neo magnets) are the most powerful Rare-Earth magnets available today. NdFeB magnets are high in magnetic strength, more versatile and less brittle than samarium cobalt magnets, so they are often the more cost-effective choice.
- Samarium Cobalt Magnets (commonly known as SmCo magnets) are advanced Rare-Earth magnet magnets offering excellent temperature stability and corrosion resistance. SmCo magnets are ideal for applications where magnetic stability is critical in extreme temperatures.
Rare Earth Features & Characteristics
- What are rare-earth magnets? Rare-Earth magnets are strong permanent magnets made from alloys of the rare-earth group of elements (lanthanides). The rare-earth group of magnets have outstanding magnetic properties which allow for more compact designs or the miniaturization of existing designs. Smaller volumes of rare-earth magnet materials are typically required which can result in substantial cost savings for the overall assembly. (top)
- What are the different types of rare-earth magnets? There are two types - neodymium magnets and samarium cobalt magnets, both of which are strong permanent magnets. Each type produces significantly stronger magnetic fields than other types of magnetic materials. Depending on your application needs, samarium cobalt or neodymium magnets may be a more appropriate fit.
- How do rare-earth magnets differ from non-rare-earth magnets? Rare-earth magnets have superior magnetic properties, so they are stronger and more durable than non-rare-earth magnets.
- What are common applications for Rare Earth magnets? Due to their high magnetic properties and strength, both neodymium and samarium cobalt magnets are used for all types of industrial, medical, scientific, aerospace and automotive applications. Commonly used in wind turbine generators, audio equipment such as loudspeakers and headphones, all types of motors and servo motors, medical equipment such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), electronics such as computer hard disc drives and much more.
- What are the advantages of neodymium vs. samarium cobalt magnets? Neodymium (Neo) magnets are superior in strength compared to samarium cobalt magnets, although both types of magnets are quite strong. Neo magnets also have the advantage of being less brittle, more versatile and are less expensive than samarium cobalt magnets.
- What are the advantages of samarium cobalt vs. neodymium magnets? Samarium cobalt (SmCo) magnets are more temperature stable than neodymium magnet material, less sensitive to temperature effects and able to withstand much higher and lower temperatures. SmCo magnets are also highly resistant to corrosion as opposed to neodymium magnets, which are very susceptible to oxidation.
- What is the difference between bonded & sintered rare-earth magnets? The bonded form can be produced with close tolerances off-tool. Sintering usually requires finishing, but the energy products are higher than bonded rare-earths.
Contact MagnetShop.com to Buy Rare Earth Magnets Today
We are a full-line magnet supplier, serving the magnet community for over 60 years by providing top-quality, licensed, rare-earth and permanent magnets, available in a wide range of sizes, shapes, finishes and premium grades. Our rare earth magnets are designed and built for virtually any and all types of applications, from high tech to DIY projects, we have the magnet you need for your project’s specialty requirements.